Why disinfect?Following some basic hygiene rules during sex can help to reduce the risk of hepatitis C. Talk to each other about this before having sex.
- When you fuck your sex partner or use dildos/toys on him, you are likely to get lube on your fingers. This can also happen if you're the bottom.
- Fisting gloves will only protect your hands up to the wrists. If you fist someone deeply, you will get lube on your forearms. If there are invisible blood particles with the hepatitis C virus in the lube, they will now be on your arm.
- Hepatitis C survives outside the body for longer than HIV. The virus seems able to survive for up to six weeks at room temperature on materials such as steel, plastic and rubber. Which means the virus can survive for that long on dildos/toys and anal douches, as well as on all parts of slings (including frame and chains), and on play sheets, fuck benches, or any other plastic furniture.
When should you disinfect?
When fucking or fisting, wash and disinfect your hands (and forearms) before changing partners or roles (top/bottom). Ask your sex partner(s) to do the same before they have sex with you.
Wash and disinfect your hands and forearms even if you used fisting gloves. The virus may be in the residue of lube on your forearms.
Which disinfectant?Not every disinfectant kills hepatitis C. We have made a list of disinfectants that are suitable for killing hepatitis C quickly.
The disinfectants recommended by NoMoreC meet the standards set by the Dutch National Centre for Hygiene and Safety (LCHV), which is part of RIVM. These disinfectants work quickly and are safe to use. Make sure you always have the following approved disinfectants at home, and don’t use them for anything they were not made for.
Hands and forearms:
- Sterilium® med: - apply for at least 30 seconds
You can also use Betadine® scrub to disinfect your hands and arms. Rub your hands and forearms with this liquid for at least 30 seconds, then wash it off with lots of water.
The play area:
- Blue Wonder® wipes: - apply for at least 15 seconds
These wipes contain hydrogen peroxide. When hydrogen peroxide breaks down, it forms water and oxygen. Hydrogen peroxide doesn’t produce nasty fumes, and the wipes do not leave bleach marks.
Your dildos, toys and anal douche:
- bleach solution 1:9 (1 litre of household bleach and 9 litres of cold water) – soak dildos/toys for at least 5 minutes
It is important to remember that:
How do you disinfect?
- hepatitis C can hide under grease and lube. Disinfection is pointless if you don’t wash everything thoroughly first.
- the surface or your skin has to be dried after cleaning. It needs to be completely dry for the disinfectant to work effectively.
Hands and forearms
Read the instructions on washing and disinfecting hands and forearmsWhat you need:
- soap or a mild wash gel
- Sterillium® med
- Wash your hands and forearms thoroughly with soap to remove all lube from your skin.
- Rine thoroughly
- Dry your skin
- Disinfect your skin by rubbing Sterillium® med all over it. Keep rubbing for at least 30 seconds until your skin is dry.
Don’t forget to do your forearms, the skin between your fingers and your cuticles.
Use enough Sterillium® med to ensure your hands and forearms stay wet for at least 30 seconds. Apply more Sterillium® med, if necessary.
The play area (sling, play sheet, fuck bench, etc.
Read the instructions on cleaning and disinfecting the play areaWhat you need:
- Paper towels
- spray bottle filled with all-purpose cleaning solution
- two towels
- Blue Wonder® wipes
- Remove as much lube as possible, using paper towel.
- Spray the surface with all-purpose cleaning solution.
- Wipe clean and dry with a towel. Make sure the surface is properly dried after cleaning.
- Disinfect with a Blue Wonder® wipe. Wipe the surface for at least 15 seconds.
- Dry with a clean towel or cloth.
Your dildos/toys and anal douche
Read the instructions on cleaning your dildos/toys and anal doucheWhat you need:
- Dishwashing liquid
- 1 litre of household bleach
- 9 litres of cold water
- clean towel
- Prepare a bleach solution of 9 parts cold water and 1 part bleach.
- Wash dildos/toys or anal douche with dishwashing liquid to remove all lube.
- Rinse well.
- Disinfect by submerging in the bleach solution for at least 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Wipe dry with a clean towel.