- Not all gay men are at risk of hepatitis C. The chance of running into hep C depends on the type of sex you have.
- Hepatitis C is mostly found among HIV positive gay men.
- Hepatitis C is also somewhat more commonly found among men who use (or wish to start using) PrEP. HIV negative men, including PrEP users, are at greater risk of hepatitis C if they have sex without condoms in a network in which hepatitis C goes around.
You will usually know if hepatitis C occurs in your sexual network. For example because
Risk or not?
You are more likely to run into hepatitis C if you
- are fucked without a condom
- like fisting (active/passive) or ass play (passive)
The chance of an infection increases if you
- do this during group sex, sex parties or afters
- use chems
Men living with HIV are the most likely to contract hepatitis C. This STI is also found more often among HIV negative men who use (or want to use) PrEP.
Learn more about how hepatitis C is transmitted here. And here you can get advice on whether or not to test.
It is mostly HIV positive men that get hepatitis C through sex.Read more
HIV negative men also get hepatitis C through sex. Hepatitis C is somewhat more commonly found among men who use (or wish to start using) PrEP.Read more
If you are HIV negative, you have a higher risk of getting hepatitis C if you have sex without condoms in a network in which hepatitis C goes around.
Hepatitis C is more common among men who use (or wish to start using) PrEP.