- When fucking or fisting, wash and disinfect your hands (and forearms) before changing partner or role (top/bottom).
- Clean and disinfect the “play area” as well before changing partner or role (top/bottom).
- Do not share dildos/toys or anal douches. Need to use someone else’s? Then make sure you know how to disinfect these.
- Never use disinfectants on your cock or ass.
- Perfect cleanliness and disinfection won’t always be possible. But better to try than to do nothing at all. Talk to each other about this before having sex.
Hepatitis C survives outside the body for longer than HIV. The virus seems able to survive for up to six weeks at room temperature on materials such as steel, plastic and rubber. Lubricant with hepatitis C can also get on your skin while playing.Read more
Good hygiene practices during sex can reduce the risk of transmitting hepatitis C.
When fucking or fisting, there may be hepatitis C lubricant on the following parts of the body:
Used dildos (or other toys for ass play) can also contain hepatitis C. The virus can also attach itself to nozzles for anal douching.
There may also be lubricant in the area where you play. Avoid lying in it:
- Never use disinfectants on your cock or butt. Your mucous membranes can be irritated by it.Washing with mild soap (and rinsing thoroughly!) is the maximum you can do with your crotch and ass to reduce the risk of hepatitis C transmission.
- Fisting gloves cover your hand up to the wrist. If you fist past the wrist, lubricant will get onto your forearm. Always wash and disinfect your hands and forearms. Even if you use gloves.
Each time you change partner or change role (top/bottom) you clean and disinfect
Not every disinfectant kills hepatitis C. We have made a list of disinfectants that are suitable for killing hepatitis C quickly.Read more
The disinfectants recommended by NoMoreC meet the standards set by the Dutch National Centre for Hygiene and Safety (LCHV), which is part of RIVM. These disinfectants work quickly and are safe to use. Make sure you always have the following approved disinfectants at home, and don’t use them for anything they were not made for.
Sterilium® med: - apply for at least 30 seconds
Make sure your hands and forearms are clean and dry before using this disinfectant.
Blue Wonder® Desinfectie Reiniger wipes-- apply for at least 15 seconds
These wipes for cleaning and disinfection of the play area contain 1% hydrogen peroxide. This breaks down into water and oxygen. Hydrogen peroxide doesn’t produce any fumes, and the wipes do not leave bleach marks.
Bleach solution 1:9 (in other words, 1 litre of household bleach and 9 litres of cold water) – soak dildos/toys or nozzle for at least 5 minutes.
Important to know
Dettol® does not work against hepatitis C. It kills bacteria, but not viruses like hepatitis C.
All-purpose alcohol (with an alcohol content of 70% or higher, for example) is not effective enough to kill hepatitis C.
Alcohol-based disinfectants sold in stores and web shops will produce fumes that can make you lightheaded when used on large surfaces. If someone lights a cigarette during the disinfection process this could start a fire or cause an explosion.
Do not use Blue Wonder® wipes to disinfect dildos. Wipes can’t reach into little cracks that a dildo might have.
Always use cold water only to prepare the bleach solution for your dildos/toys and anal douche. If you use warm water, it could create bleach fumes. Besides that, bleach works better and for much longer when mixed with cold water. Always place the solution in an area with lots of fresh air (therefore, not in the play area).
Bleach does not harm your dildos and toys, and it won’t change their colour, except when you leave them in the solution for hours. Always rinse well with water. This will prevent irritation of the mucous membrane of your ass, the next time the dildo, toy or nozzle for anal douching is used.
Never use disinfectants on your cock or ass. They can irritate your mucous membranes, which would increase the risk of hepatitis C. Washing your cock and ass with a mild soap or wash gel and rinsing well is the most you can do to remove lube below the waist.
Below is a step-by-step guide to disinfection.
Instructions for hands and forearmsRead more
What you need
Don’t forget to do your forearms, the skin between your fingers and your cuticles.
Instructions for the play area (play sheet, sling, fuck bench etc.)Read more
What you need
Follow the same steps for your sling’s chains and frame if anyone touched these with lubed fingers.
One wipe is enough to disinfect about 1.5 square metres.
Close the package immediately after taking a wipe. Otherwise, the remaining Blue Wonder® wipes will get dry and won’t do their job properly. NB: using water to make a dry wipe wet again is pointless.
Tip: You can disinfect a larger surface with two wipes at the same time than with two separate wipes.
Instructions for dildos, toys and anal douche nozzlesRead more
What you need
Or watch our instructional videos. These are subtitled, so you can also watch them without sound.
It is important to remember that
- hepatitis C can hide under grease and lube. Disinfection is pointless if you don’t wash or clean everything thoroughly first.
- the surface or your skin has to be dried after cleaning. It needs to be completely dry for the disinfectant to work effectively.